Followers

Search

Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

And Then I Cried

The other day I was at a meeting for a committee I'm on. We have a member who is mentally ill. It's not autism, and he is under the regular care of mental health services. He's mostly harmless, but he has some behavior issues. 

When it was my turn to say something, I started crying. I just suddenly saw my son as a grownup with a room full of people deciding how to delicately avoid his less socially acceptable behaviors without rejecting him from the club.  I really don't have the answers. 


2 comments:

  1. There ARE no answers..only possibilities. keep writing-keep reaching out to people...there are many many people who will see your son the way that you do..with love, with respect, admiration and joy.
    As for the rest of them-they probably love Jenny McCarthy and you don't want them around anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I hope my son grows up in a more evolved world.

    ReplyDelete